Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sparkly lil Skulls

So I previously noted that I shared an appreciation for statement necklaces with the rest of the general fashionable public. But what I have really developed is a downright obsession with intricate and heavy handed sparklies. It's been sudden and cruel, depriving me of sleep as I toss and turn, scheming of ways to justify a thousand collars of fake jewels.



It really doesn't help that I recently discovered that Charles Winston has a CZ line which looks very close to the real thing, and lays it on thick. By thick, I mean, dripping, marqasite or pave settings, multiple stones, bring in the sherry dahhhhllinnnnngggg. Sigh.




It’s like a belated appreciation for Carrie’s diamond necklace she would wear with jeans. Suddenly every pair of glittery encrusted jewels is calling my name. I bet SATC started it with the damned cupcake purse, but now I am suddenly wondering why I never knew who Judith Leiber was before, and if $400 is too much for a tiny knock off clutch?


And it’s spreading. I have been eyeing crystal candlesticks lately, and purchased one with clear natural diamondesque stones running down the body. The only other place I can fathom having rough or sparkly gemstones is in a picture frame, so I am sure that’s next. Or maybe I could decorate with crystal skulls? WTF kind of story was that? Apparently someone else had developed a case of gem mania, and carved some crystal skulls for decorating her abode.



When she tired of them and switched to copper planters full of wheat grass, she mailed them to museums all over the world with a tiny note attaching folklore and ghost stories to the skulls, thus ensuring that they would not be returned. At least that’s my take on it. For the possibly more accurate story, you may wish to read the news.

No comments: