Friday, July 4, 2008

Sly on the 4th


I know that Sex and the City has received a fair share of both kudos and flack for its fashion sense, but I am definitely in the pro Patricia Fields category. The shows deft touches and sly styling won me over episode after episode. Whether I wanted to emulate such a carefree vibe or could simply appreciate the art of the outfit, every look on SATC had my admiration.

What I especially admired was Ms. Field's ability to nod at the events or scene transpiring in the episode. I attempt to achieve similar nods on holidays. I like to acknowledge the event without breaking out the tinsel earrings or Old Navy holiday shirts.

So what does one wear on the fourth? I think a sun dress such as this heart number from Patricia from Paris pulls off the color scheme without screaming fireworks. Or this vintage reproduction from Pinup Girl is perfect for picnics.

A little red dress becomes a little more holiday with the right accessories. Take these star earrings from Kaboodle and these preppy Lela Rose for Payless flats, and you have red, white and blue stars. Let's let the stripes go- that's just over the top.

No comments: